Tax return due on 31 October

Haven’t lodged your tax return yet?  Did you know that with your Tax return due on 31 October, time is running out.

Tax return due on 31 October

If you’re struggling to get your tax return in by this date, you could save yourself a lot of trouble by using our Same Day Tax Return service.

Because we are a registered tax agent, and registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB), we have the ability to not only lodge your tax return but we also are able to get an extension on the date when we lodge it for you.

Using our registered tax agents will also provide you with consumer protection as the TPB ensures that we:

•    meet and maintain the required standard or qualifications and experience
•    comply with the Code of Professional Conduct.

Our registered tax agents have a special lodgement program and can lodge returns for you after the usual 31 October deadline. The due date will also depend on your personal situation. Contact us for advice.

If you’re using us for the first time, you need to contact us before 31 October to take advantage of our lodgement program due dates.

Lodging previous years’ tax returns

If you haven’t lodged a previous year’s tax return, it’s important to get up to date as soon as possible to avoid penalty.

Our registered tax agents can prepare and lodge prior year tax returns for you, so contact us for advice. With your Tax return due on 31 October, time is running out, not only for this year but for previous years as well.

Don’t let it roll on, contact us today and let our tax agents save you the hassles of dealing with the ATO. We are your tax guys and we work for you, not the ATO.

Income Tax Today can be a Minefield

Income tax today is even more complex than ever, but it can be easy if you use a registered tax agent like Instant Tax Refunds.

If you are still wondering how to get your tax done right, come in to see our tax professionals and we will do your tax today.

Our decades of experience mean that we understand the tax laws better than anybody.

We can work out the highest level of allowable refunds and advise you about liabilities, obligations or entitlements under the Australian taxation laws.

You will find our fees very reasonable and in most cases the refunds we get you more than cover the fees we charge, so you come out in front anyway.

Income tax today is under more scrutiny than ever.

The other thing to be aware of when it comes to your tax today, is that the ATO has access to more data about you than ever before.

They can collect data from other government entities and use data matching to check up on your income and claims.

The ATO says it uses data matching to reassure the community that they protect honest people and businesses from unfair competition.

And that’s fair enough, so it’s important to correctly declare your income and claim the correct offsets and other benefits to comply with the tax laws.

By using our registered tax agents, you can be sure all the compliance stuff is done correctly and your tax return will be lodged with the ATO without the worry.

So come on in and let us to do your tax today. Our experienced tax agents are here to help.



Be very careful about tax refund fraud

The ATO has warned against tax refund fraud which is claiming a tax refund by providing false information to them. They are checking up on cases that are more than carelessness, accidental or an error.

They are specifically targeting tax returns done in a deliberately deceitful manner, from creating fictitious expenses to creating false documentation to support a claim. Some individuals have lodged fraudulent claims in their own name or for their business.

Tax refund fraud affects both income tax and GST and includes:

  • providing fictitious payment summary details or fictitious expense claims or offsets on income tax returns and amendments
  • providing false information in statements such as fictitious expenses
  • lodging large numbers of fraudulent returns using false or stolen identities

Tax refund fraud is stealing from the whole community and disadvantages Australians who do the right thing.

The Tax office takes this very seriously, and they have a range of controls and systems in place to detect potential tax refund fraud, including:

  • analytical models that use behavioural and statistical algorithms to analyse information on income tax returns, business activity statements and other tax forms
  • sharing data and intelligence with partner agencies
  • obtaining information about suspected fraud from the community and other government agencies.

Call us to ensure that your Tax Return is done correctly and that you are not lodging claims that could be seen as “fraudulent”.

74% of Australians are using a tax agent

The ATO reports that 74 per cent of Australians are using a tax agent. That’s simply because when you use a registered tax agent, they work for you, not the ATO.

But if you are looking at lodging your tax return yourself, take care as the ATO is checking more returns than ever this year.

The ATO is expanding its data matching and real-time monitoring, enabling it to quickly find inaccurate claims or suspicious returns.

That means anyone who has been potentially holding out on additional income, inflating costs or deducting items incorrectly are all in the firing line.

The ATO has access to an enormous amount of data. This means that they can create benchmark figures by occupation, income bracket and previous returns.

They can also access data from your bank, employers, other government departments, and even directly from sharing platforms like Uber or Airbnb.

So, the easiest way to get the best tax refund without running into trouble is to keep in the ATO’s good books.

Working with and using a tax agent like Instant Tax Refunds is by far the best way to ensure the maximum refund with the least risk.

More and more people are using a tax agent for that very reason.

Figuring out what you can claim is where we come in right at the beginning. And then we work out how to calculate your claims. Knowing how to do this can be the difference between a smooth return with a refund, or red flagging the attention of the ATO.

Reputable and highly experienced tax agents like ours have the expertise to make sure you know what you can claim.

We also have systems and checks in place to ensure any potentially dodgy claims are checked before they are sent to the ATO.

And our small, once-per-year tax agent fee is also tax deductible.

So if you are still considering doing your own tax return, why not give us an obligation free call first on 1300 TAX GUY.

It could save you a whole lot of money and a whole lot of trouble.

Haven’t done your 2017 tax return yet?

Well here’s some good news (even if you haven’t done your 2017 tax return yet).

Our experienced income tax specialists can quickly get your tax return done and in most cases, get you a maximum tax refund along the way.

By now you should have your payment summaries from your employers. (If not give them a hurry up).

To get your maximum tax refund, have a look at our Income Tax Today Checklist here.

Once you have everything checked off, just give us a call and we will complete and lodge your tax return for you, to ensure that you get the maximum refund that you are eligible to receive.

That’s why it makes sense to use our expertise as we know the tax rules better than anyone.

So no there’s need for you to worry about want you can and cannot claim. Let us do the hard work for you and then you can get on with doing what you do best while we do what we do best.

And what we do best is looking after you and your 2017 tax return!

With over 100 years combined team experience preparing individual tax returns, you’re in good hands with the Instant Tax Refunds team.

So call us now on 1300 TAX GUY, or use our contact form here.

Don’t let your Tax Return raise a red flag with ATO

It’s more important than ever to lodge an accurate tax return as the ATO now has so much data to call on and to verify your tax returns. They are cracking down hard on fraudulent claims so don’t let an inaccurate Tax Return raise a red flag.

Claiming exaggerated or best guess expenses claims, with a lack of receipts and evidence, will often raise a red flag with the ATO.

The following two mistakes need to be avoided if you don’t want to place yourself on the ATO’s tax audit list.

1.  Not providing proof of purchase

Without receipts for your expenses, you can only claim a maximum of $300 worth of work related expenses.

With our help, you may well find that you are eligible to claim more than $300.

This could increase your tax refund considerably, but, without receipts, it’s your word against theirs. The ATO says, no proof, no claim, so keep your receipts year-round.

If you claim and receive a bigger refund than you’re entitled to, the ATO can force you to repay the difference – with interest charged and with possible penalties added as well.

By keeping good tax receipt records, you can ensure that the maximum refund can be calculated and claimed.

2. Guessing your tax deductions and income

It’s vital to ensure that you use accurate figures when you enter your income, deductions, and the amount of tax you’ve paid into your tax return.

The ATO already has records of tax paid, so can compare what you enter against the information they have.

It might seem the quick and easy way to get your tax done by estimating these items, but inaccuracy is a tax return mistake that should be avoided.

All your entries must be completed correctly, as even a few dollars out of place can bring you to the attention of the ATO.

So by entering the actual and true amounts on your receipts into your claims, you will be safe from possible prosecution.

And by waiting until you receive your official PAYG summary before you complete your tax return you know your amounts will match the ATO’s records.

Don’t let your Tax Return raise a red flag with the ATO.

Give us  a call before you do your tax, and we can more than likely increase your tax refund AND make sure its done right!

Getting a Tax refund with Instant Tax Refunds

Getting a tax refund can be a bit like Christmas in July. The money always comes in handy just when you need it.

But getting a tax refund as an individual tax payer in Australia, means it has to be refunded from the tax you pay to the ATO. This individual tax is based mainly on income you receive from salary, wages and investment income.

As a wage or salary earner, you pay income tax during the year as you earn the income. This is called ‘pay as you go’ (PAYG).

The amount of income tax you pay is linked to how much you earn and whether you’re an Australian resident. The more you earn, the higher your rate of tax.

As an employee, you have little control over the tax that is deducted from your wages each pay period. Your employer uses The ATO tax rate calculator to work out how much income tax to take out of your wages. They then send it to the ATO. This is called PAYG withholding.

Income tax deductions
Remember that your employer is not required to be aware of any deductions that you could get. Employers are only obligated to deduct the amount that the ATO requires as per the tax rate calculator.

This means is that you could be eligible to get some of your tax back at the end of the financial year.

Getting a tax refund.

Getting money back from the ATO as refund on the tax you have paid is based on a set of tax rules.

Tax refunds can be given for variety of reasons. But without knowing the tax rules, it can be difficult to know just what deductions and refunds you are entitled to. Whether you are wage earner, contractor or salary earner, you are most likely due a tax refund this year.

Get the biggest tax refund with a tax agent
Using Instant Tax Refunds registered tax agents is great way to make sure you get the best and biggest refund.

Our tax agents are specialists who know every allowable tax deduction you could possibly get. Call Instant Tax Refunds on 1300 TAX GUY today and make an appointment to have your Tax Return prepared by one of our specialist tax agents. We could save you heaps! AND you could get your money on the SAME DAY.

When it comes to getting a tax refund, we’re  your #1 Tax Guys!

Get the most from your 2017 Tax refund

At this time of year, many people are looking at their 2017 tax refund to help them pay some bills. Make sure you get the best tax refund you can by speaking to a registered tax agent.

Tax agents are trained and registered professionals who specialise in individual tax returns.

They know what you can and cannot claim.

A good tax agent will recover more refund for you than the fee they charge, because they can increase your refund amount by knowing what to claim for you.

Tax agents may work for accountants and many may also be accountants. But the good thing is they usually charge much less to do your tax return than an accountant would. This is because as specialists, they are extremely efficient and get your tax done quickly and accurately with the maximum allowable deductions.

The best tax agents have advanced systems and often have online checklists and forms to help you get the preliminary work done first, so that they can dedicate their time to going through everything carefully. They will find and enter every legitimate tax deduction that you are allowed.

And that word legitimate is also important. Registered and listed tax agents will ensure they get your 2017 tax return done properly and in accordance with the Australian Tax Office rules. This gives you both peace of mind AND the maximum allowable tax refund.

So make sure you get the best 2017 tax refund you possibility can this year. Instant Tax Refunds has the knowledge and the skill to help you. To find out more, call us today, or go to our online contact form.

Watch out for a tax refund scams this year

The ATO has issued a warning to be on the alert for tax refund scams with scammers contacting people via phone or email.

If you are unsure whether your tax preparer is legitimate, the Australian Tax Practitioners Board can let you know if your tax agent is registered.

As a registered tax agent, Instant Tax Refunds will never ask you to send sensitive information via email.

When it comes to tax file numbers and other sensitive financial information, we make sure that we do this professionally and according to correct legal practices.

This part of the process only happens when you come in to our offices or talk to one of our tax agents on the phone. We have offices in Beenleigh, Maroochydore and Acacia Ridge.

Here’s some details about the Tax Refund scams

Phone scams
You receive a call from a person saying they are from the ATO. They say you have a tax refund and that you need to make a money transfer to pay for the ‘taxes’ to release this refund.

Generally, they will provide a phone number to contact the ‘ATO’ once you have completed the transfer. The scammers sometimes quote personal information such as your address and date of birth. To show authenticity, they may also quote several private contact numbers for you.

Key indicators of this scam are:

•    an unsolicited phone call
•    the caller advises that you have an unclaimed refund
•    you are asked to pay money to a third party to receive the refund
•    the payment must be made through a money transfer, often into a personal bank account.

Email scams

These emails claim to come from the ATO and usually offer a tax refund. Generally, they link to a fake ATO website asking for personal and credit card details or prompt you to open or download a file that will install a virus on your computer.

These emails can differ in appearance and level of sophistication. They generally state that you are eligible for a refund and tell you to click on a link or open an attachment to submit a form in order to receive it.

If you receive a scam email like this, do not attempt to open the attachment or download any files, as these may attempt to install a virus on your computer.

If you receive a suspicious email claiming to be from the ATO, do not click on any links, open attachments or respond to the sender.

Key Indicators that it is a scam include:

•    the email not being personalised
•    poor grammar
•    links in the email – you should never click on a link in an email unless you are sure of the source.

You can confirm the real destination of a link by hovering your mouse over the link or on your phone by holding your finger down on the link. All ATO domains include

So stay safe and be aware so that you don’t fall for one of those scams. If you have any concerns, call us now on 1300 TAX GUY.

Haven’t got time to do your 2017 tax return?

You probably have your group certificate or payment summary from your employer by now. But have you found time to do your 2017 tax return yet?

Most people get a tax refund on their tax returns and yet still find it challenge just getting it done.

So even though you could have money owed to you by the ATO, you are probably like most Australians – Time poor and not looking forward to the hassle of working your way through e-tax.

Other reasons for not doing the annual tax return are a result of fear.

The ATO is good at making people fearful of getting it wrong. They can appear as the Big Brother Ogre to many people. Whether this is justified or not is not really relevant when you are in the middle of trying to figure it all out.

Being worried about the consequences of getting it wrong is what stops lots of people from getting started.

But not doing your tax return is not the kind of problem that’s going to go away, so it’s best to face up to it and get it done.

That’s where we come in. Using our decades of tax experience can save you all of the headaches that e-tax causes.

The best part is that we are able to get you the MAXIMUM REFUND. And even better, you may qualify for our INSTANT TAX REFUND. This mean you get the money the ATO OWES YOU straight away, rather than have to wait weeks for it to turn up.

I bet you could use that money now.

So simply call us on 1300 TAX GUY or use our form on the contact us page and let us take the fear and hassle out of your tax return. You could have money in your pocket very soon.